Siu mixes on Soundcloud, DJ’s at dance

Siu mixes on Soundcloud, DJ’s at dance

Created in 1909 by Ray Newby, DJing has since transformed into a huge part of the music industry, according to Bay Area Radio.  This type of music has transformed from mixing tapes for jukeboxes, playing at raves, and creating a new music scene through the internet.  And senior Ryan Siu is now part of that culture.

“I started DJing in eigth grade,” Siu said.  “I picked it back up when ASB asked me to DJ for Homecoming.”

Currently, Siu has 21 beats on Soundcloud that reflect his passion for becoming a DJ.

“I just wanted to try mixing music like they did on the radio,” Siu said.

According to Siu, it can take anywhere from one to four hours to make a beat depending on how complex he wants it to be.

“Some beats can be as simple as a drumline, a sample and a bassline while others, like my beats  “Trip” and “Universe” can be more complicated and can take days to master,” Siu said.  10805279_787980684595590_1070995506_n

However, Siu believes that beats that take a long time are not always the best sounding ones.

“Sometimes the simpler the beat, the better it is,” Siu said.  “There are times when I focus on a beat for too long and I forget what I wanted it to sound like at the beginning.”

Siu’s favorite song, “Kick Back and Relax,” is a mixture of a melodious bassline and a combination of smooth piano strokes.

“It’s my favorite because I think it incorporates a lot of the different types of tools that I use.”

DJing is his way of incorporating thoughts and ideas into music, Siu said.

“I like DJing because it helps me capture certain moments and turn them into beats,” he said.  “It’s like creating a backdrop to a certain moment in time.”

In addition to creating his own songs, Sui got to put his music mixing skills to the test when he performed for a live audience at the Homecoming Dance.

“We heard Ryan was into DJing so we then asked him,” junior Laine Ratzer said.  “We all thought Ryan would be really fun.”

The decision to have Siu DJ was unanimous among the ASB class, Ratzer said.

In the past, dances have been accompanied by non-student DJ’s but this year, Siu was asked for budget purposes and to keep students engaged.

“Seeing peers enjoy the music I make is just another thing that makes me want to pursue a music career in the future,” Siu said.

With a limited budget for ASB events, Ratzer believed money could be saved by using Siu as the DJ for the dance.

“DJ’s are one of the more expensive parts of putting on a dance so to save money we thought Ryan would be a fun change,” Ratzer said.  “I think this made the dance a lot more fun, having a student control the music.  Ryan knew what songs would be crowd pleasers and was really good at keeping everyone engaged.”

However, while Siu enjoys being a DJ, he wants to keep his options open in the future for different music careers.

“I want to do something with music when I grow up,” Siu said.  “Whether it be making beats for rappers or making scores for movies, music has always been a big part of my life and will continue to be.”