Dance concert combines literature with movement

photo 2The audience hushes, the lights flicker on, and dancers begin to fly across the stage. As students gracefully flow across the stage they perform and watch as their choreography comes to life. This is the dance classes’ winter showcase, Literary Movement.

Dance teacher, Amy Moorhead, coined the theme after she read Malala Yousafzai’s autobiography, I Am Malala.

“Her writing really spoke to me,” Moorhead said. “It was incredibly powerful and I thought we should have a dance tribute to her.” photo 3

Apart from Moorhead’s choreography, all other dances were student choreographed. Students who have been in the class for more than a year chose a song, literary piece and dance to put together.

“It’s definitely a lot of work,” junior Rachel Fong said. “But [dance showcases] are really fun experience and it’s worth it when it comes together.”

photo 1For student choreographed dances, students implemented moves learned during class, but many also incorporated their experience from dancing done outside of school.

“It depends on what you choose to be your theme,” Fong said. “In mine I used moves I learned in ballet. Sometimes I just incorporate whatever comes to mind.”photo 4

Students that went were pleasantly surprised by the showcase, as they had gone not knowing what to expect.

“When I heard the theme was Literary Movement I didn’t really understand what that meant,” senior Joseph Chan said. “I thought the implementation of literary pieces in the show was very creative.”

Moorhead is glad this showcase was such a success and hopes more students will come to them as the year progresses.

“It might not sound like your cup of tea but you never know,” Moorhead said. “We tend to be more impressive than we’re made out to be.”