String orchestra showcases musical skill at Winter Concert

The PHS String Orchestra performed their annual Winter Concert on December 9. Conducted by orchestra teacher Cathy DeVos, the 30-member group played five pieces.

Sophomore Victoria Hou said the class has been preparing for the concert since the beginning of the school year. Hou has been playing the violin in the orchestra since fourth grade.IMG_7309

“Violin is something that I am really familiar with,” Hou said. “Also, the environment is really friendly.”

Junior Jasmine Qi has also been playing the violin since fourth grade. Like Hou, Qi enjoys Orchestra because of the environment, and also because she gets to perform in two concerts each year.

“I like showcasing what we learn even though no one comes,” Qi said, “but it makes parents happy.”

Freshman Azul Kothari noticed the differences between the middle school and high school orchestras. After his first high school performance, he said he felt like he could have done better, but overall he felt he did well.

“The pieces are a lot more interesting in the high school orchestra than in the middle school orchestra,” Kothari said. “You get a lot more levels and styles of music in the pieces.”

This year’s concert featured the Concerto VIII “Christmas Concerto” by Corelli.

“It is one of the most recognizable baroque string pieces in the world,” District Music Director Jan D’Annunzio said.

Before each orchestra, band and a capella concert, D’Annunzio reserves the auditorium, makes the programs, distributes the concert attire and collects donations at the door. D’Annunzio has been working for the district for 16 years. Each performance, she accompanies the sixth grade orchestra on the piano.