Students weigh in on new PE class

Three, two, one, done. The weights fall to the ground and your muscles are buzzing from the 10 additional pounds added to your routine. You sit up from the bench and a wave of energy hits you and your day has finally started. This year, PHS has added a new weight training class to the curriculum thus  giving students an alternative to earn PE credits.

The weight training class is only offered as a semester long course for sophomores, juniors and seniors. The class is offered as an elective,  giving students who need the credit another option, rather than just regular P.E..IMG_9084

The required freshman P.E. class is a course one class, while PE for sophomores, juniors and seniors is course two. Weight training is a course three, which means it is the highest level of P.E. possible.

The class has a range in daily activities, giving students opportunities that they would not be offered in regular P.E.

“We have a first day, second day and third day routine,” P.E. teacher Jeff Peters said. “I thought it would work because of the five day bell schedule.”

On Mondays the class is held in the middle school weight room since it is a shorter class period and is close to the high school. However, on Tuesdays and Thursdays it occurs in the weight room at Witter Field.

Bench press, squatting and free weights are some of the many exercises the students perform in class.

“Second and third day have similar stations but also differ according to what the current program is.” Peters said

IMG_9096The weight training class occurs during second period. Peters said this helps students jump start the day and contributes to students being able to concentrate on their academics.

“Having it earlier in the day gets you energized and ready for the day,” senior Daniel Champion said.

The energy of the class is positive, bringing students closer together and creating a close knit class environment. Students feel that they have more of an opportunity to reach out to one another, as many of the workouts require partners or groups for spotting each other.

“Everyone always talks,” senior Onyx Yskamp Long said. “It’s very social and casual.”

Even though this is the first year that the class is offered, Peters has big plans for the future.

“My hopes are that most kids that play PHS sports can get involved and possibly lift as a team during school hours,” Peters said.

Peter’s goal is transform the class into a year long class, rather than just one semester. Although the class size is already full with 30 students, he hopes to have more kids sign up for the class next year.

“I’m happy that we are able to have this program, because I’ve been lifting weights since I was a freshman in high school,” Peters said.