Acting classes displaced during the construction of a new STEAM building

On March 12, the administration relocated the acting classes because the demolition of the Alan Harvey theater.

The acting classes will be in various places depending on the period and the day. The locations are the PMS multi-purpose room, the Community Hall, the Veterans Hall, and Ellen Driscoll Theater.

“The construction also took away Ms. Taylor’s office, so we moved her office into one half of the library conference room,” librarian Kathryn Levenson said. “When she has classes, we will fold back the dividing wall and their classroom [could] be in that area.”

Acting teacher Kim Taylor said that the May Plays will be held in the Ellen Driscoll theater.

“The following year, the plays could either be at Ellen Driscoll or an alternate site like Mills College,” Taylor said.

When talking to the sixth period acting class, Assistant Principal Erin Pope said that the class has higher expectations for their behavior when they are at the alternate locations.

Levenson said that now, with the conference room available for acting, the library has much less room for activities such as clubs and testing.

“We have already lost this year what used to be the test center; it is now the publications office,” Levenson said. “Now we have lost half the conference room space, and for periods three through six [we] will be losing all of the conference room space.”

Extra time for testing and other activities which the library normally housed in the conference room will need to find another place on campus, Levenson said.

“It was difficult to find a space because this late in the year [because] most spaces are booked,” Taylor said.

Levenson said that there are also student clubs that meet in the conference room, those may be displaced as well.

Levenson said that she did not think this was the best way to handle the decision.

“However, at the end of the day, I’m part of a larger organism, and the administration is the brain of the organism,” Levenson said. “If the administration wants to do it, I just have to go along with it.”

Levenson said that everyone has to be ready to cooperate for the next three years while the construction is happening.

“We all have to adapt, and in the end, something amazing and beautiful will be created,” Taylor said.