A Trip to the Alameda Flea Market

Elizabeth Long, Staff Writer

A retired naval base stands in the middle of the Bay Area, surrounded on three sides by colorful container ships, while the base itself stands empty and lifeless. However, on the first Sunday of every month, tens of thousands of people commute from far and wide to Alameda Point, filling the ordinarily bleak landscape with life. 

The Alameda Point Antiques Faire, more commonly known as the Alameda Flea Market, is a fair filled with a miscellaneous assortment of unique items. From necklaces to plants and vintage goods to handmade crafts – this market has it all. The Alameda Flea Market attracts Bay Area residents looking for unique treasures and a vibrant shopping experience.

This year marks the Alameda Flea Market’s 24th anniversary, with the fair first starting in 1999. Some shoppers use the market as a monthly tradition and opportunity to bond over their shared love of retro clothing and antiques. The market hosts between 6,000 and 11,000 visitors each fair day, including many PHS students who embark on the drive to Alameda each month. 

Sophomore Olive Litwin first went to the flea market two years ago with her friends.

“I go to the flea market to get some new clothes and explore new styles,” she said.

While this market has recently been gaining popularity with a younger generation, many visitors of Alameda Point have been coming for years.

“I’ve been selling for 20 years, besides COVID,” said seller Shauna James.

Vintage clothing is familiar for James, as she has been surrounded by it her whole life.

“My mom used to take me to thrift stores and flea markets when I was younger, so I was pretty much raised there,” James said. “As I got older I just stuck with buying and selling clothes.”

The flea market is a melting pot for vintage and antique lovers, housing up to over 800 vendors.

“This is such a great location for me to sell at because thousands of people walk by my small shop once a month,” said seller Jill Cappuccio, who only sells clothing she hand-sews.

“I make everything [I sell] using vintage and found fabrics,” Cappuccio said. “I’m also a middle school teacher, so this is my side gig.”

However, clothes are not the only thing sold at the flea market. Many vendors sell antiques, pots, pans, handmade crafts, and jewelry. 

“I make boxes that are made out of redwood burl, buckeye burl, and maple burl. I also mainly sell duck decoys and some antiques,” said seller Ed Nickels.

The market is open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., but sellers have to wake up much earlier than that.

“[On flea market day] I wake up really early in the morning. Then I sit in my booth, get a little work done, and talk to people,” Cappuccio said.

Junior Oliver Shafroth said that bonding over clothes and antiques brings the flea market community together.

“It’s a really fun experience, to talk to actual people and see what they’re about,” Shafroth said.

Cappuccio said that the personal experience of selling what she makes is what she loves about the flea market.

“People get what I do here. They get it, and that to me is invaluable,” she said.