Labberton and Alper to retire at end of year

English teacher Janet Labberton and French teacher Christine Alper, two of PHS’s longest working teachers are retiring this year.

In total, the two teachers have been working at PHS for over 33 years.

Labberton has worked at PHS for over 17 years and will be moving to southern California for her husband’s job.

Labberton said, “As a family, we decided [we would relocate] if my husband ever got appointed as President of Fuller Theological Seminary, and he did.”

Labberton said that she was not looking for early retirement or looking to leave, but felt open to new possibilities once her youngest son graduated.

While announcing her retirement to her seventh period English class, Labberton said, “I promise not to leave until the end of the year.”

Junior Gabriel Bolio said, “Mrs. Labberton was a great English teacher and a great public speaking teacher.”

Bolio said that she had an excellent presence at PHS and that she made English more interesting. He said that she was accepting and an extremely nice person.

Sophomore Tiger Leet said, “Mrs. Labberton was like a mother to me.”

Along with her bubbly and comedic personality, Labberton was most known for her support in the food drive. Her class consistently brought in the most pounds for the annual food drive.

Labberton said that her first memory working at PHS was her interview for the job. She arrived early, and decided to go across the street to Dress Best for Less. She bought a PHS baseball hat and promised herself that she would keep it if she got the job, and throw it away if she didn’t. She ended up used this baseball cap to draw names out of in her classes.

Labberton said, “I’ve always loved how kids here are really open in class and that she has always used literature to be a springboard for other conversations of what is happening, not only on campus but also in people’s lives.

Labberton said that she that she loves how people in Piedmont try to applications of their life and not just stay in their little town. She said that she taught at a few other schools but PHS is still not like other places, even if those places are less isolated.

Labberton said she will miss talking to high school students the most.

Labberton said, “Just knowing that I’ll come here and be somewhat interested in literature. I love teenagers; I find it’s just natural for me to work with teenagers.”

Labberton will be living in Pasadena, which is a much more international community.

“I’m looking forward to working with a diverse group of people and hopefully I will volunteer in the Pasadena public schools, which have much more diverse populations.”

AP French teacher Christine Alper will also be retiring at the end of the year.

Alper has worked at PHS for over 16 years.

“What I will miss most about PHS is the contact with my students. The colleagues here are wonderful and I have a lot of respect for them.”

Alper said what she found interesting was what her students thought the latest trends and what was in or out.

Alper’s favorite memory teaching at PHS is the dress up day for French III. All the students dress up as a famous French character and have to take on their characters.

“It’s really interesting to see their creativity at work and to see how they come up with their costumes.

Alper has made a significant impact while teaching French at PHS, Junior Eliza Kauffman said.

“[Ms. Alper] was an amazing teacher and contributed a lot to the language program,” Kauffman said.

Alper not only taught her students the language aspect of France, but also taught them French culture and lifestyles of the French.

Former student of Ms. Alper junior Claire Pinkham said, “She was very dedicated and did a lot to help the students learn about culture and understand how to use the language in a functional way.”

Alper said that what she is most excited for after retiring is to be able to travel.

“I’ll have more free time to travel and I can take advantage of things without having to do it during school holidays. It will be nice to have more flexibility.”

Junior Nora Perry said, “I’m really sad. She was really knowledgeable and helped me a lot with learning French.”

Alper said that she might volunteer somewhere or maybe even teach somewhere.

“For me, it’s time to go. But my students will be left in good hands and I’m very confident that the new teachers will do a good job.”