Juniors ‘assasinate’ each other

DSC_7781The annual juniors Assassin game started on March 25. Assassin consists of any junior who signs up to participate. Each participant is assigned a target, and using either Nerf or water guns, must hit their target in the torso in order to eliminate them.

The school is a safe zone, so no one can be eliminated while on school grounds. There are also grace periods where no one can be eliminated; these are 10 minutes before school, after school, and at the beginning and end of a sport.

Junior Forest Wakeling has organized this year’s game. Approximately 80 juniors are attending and requests have been made from juniors at other schools to participate.

Wakeling is in charge of assigning targets, but does not actually participate himself, although this year he has decided to shoot with a water gun one nonparticipating junior each day until Assassin is over. He said that squirt guns are the most common strategies to eliminate your target.

Wakeling said, “Assassin is a fun game and I organized it because I like to play fun games.”

Junior Miranda Wiebe said, “I’m excited to hit my target. I think it will be really satisfying.”

Wakeling said that some people get really competitive about Assassin.

Math teacher Cincotta thinks it is a good bonding experience for the juniors.

Chemistry and biology teacher John Savage said that it is a good way for students to use their time instead of getting into trouble and that it distracts from more destructive behaviors that they could be participating in.

“I played a game similar to Assassin in college, but instead of guns, we used socks. If a sock hit you, you were dead,” said Savage.

Wakeling used Facebook in order to organize the game and efficiently assign everyone their targets.

Savage said that when he played it in college there was a committee who organized it and that they also used Facebook to organize the event.

Not all juniors are participating in Assassin.

“I forgot to sign up for the game, so I didn’t get a chance to play,” said Junior Dylan Pike.

Assassin consists of three rounds, so people who did not participate in the last round are welcome to sign up for the other two.