Soccer team kicks off season in full gear

Whether sprinting through a grassy field with a black and white ball or strategically altering and designing game plans, the captains girl’s and boy’s varsity soccer teams set goals, literally and figuratively, as they prepare for a successful winter season.

Led by senior captains Corey Collier, Irvin Xu, and Ale Chiodo, the boy’s varsity soccer team practices ten hours a week on average.

Baringer said that so far the boy’s have a winning record. However, their greatest competition will be Berkley High School.

“Our goal is to win the rest of our games and reach the NCS finals,” Chiodo said.

Mara Blumenstein, one of the captains for the varsity girl’s teams agrees with Baringer, saying that the girls and guys always go to one another games for support. Like the guy’s team, the girls team hopes to have many victories this season.

“We want to win league again, do well in NCS, and hopefully have an as good as, if not better, record than last year,” Blumenstein said.

Blumenstein said that, as of now, the girl’s varsity team has a winning record.

Other captain of the girl’s varsity team, senior Kesy Platt said that by diligently practicing and staying mentally focused; the team will have more victories as well as create a more unified team.

“We are a very young team this year, and a lot of new girls so we just have to rebuild our chemistry together,”Platt said.

As a result of senior Emma Altieri ACL injury during the St Mary’s game and the loss of key seniors this year, the team has inevitably faced a few setbacks. However, Blumenstein and Platt hope to achieve their goals through practice and support.