STEAM Building Receives Certificate of Occupancy

A new building towers over the school. The sun glimmers through the windows into the shiny classrooms. Boxes, chairs and tables pile up in Binks gym. The hollow hallways sit and wait for students to return.

Teachers are preparing to move into the new state-of-the-art STEAM building, which is nearing completion. The building, which is set to hold classes for science, arts, and math, among other subjects, received its certificate of occupancy on Tuesday, Oct. 20, consultant for the facilities program Julie Moll said. Construction on the building began in April 2019.

The building was set to open before school began in August, but due to major setbacks, the building was not completed by then. Moll said that one major issue was that Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) delayed the installment of permanent power to the building, leading to emergency and safety testing being delayed. Moll said that the development of the building faced major COVID hurdles as well. Despite the setbacks, Moll said that the process has gone smoothly.

“There were issues with subcontractors and delivery of materials [and] there were disruptions because of the pandemic, but our contractor has really done a fantastic job keeping things on schedule.” Moll said.

Moll said that the week of Oct. 19 was a big week for the moving process. With the certificate of occupancy issued, maintenance staff began moving stored materials and furniture into the building so teachers can start working there. Currently, materials are being stored in storage or Binks Gym.

“Teachers who need access to the materials can go get them in Binks,” Moll said.

The next few weeks are not only big just for the moving process. The final touches to the building will be installed soon, Moll said.

“Work such as installation of solar panels on the exterior and installation of countertops and sinks in the interior is continuing,” Moll said. “The certificate means the building passed critical inspections, which are the minimum legal requirement for occupancy.”

Some teachers, like math teacher Doyle O’Regan, who is preparing to move into room 124 of the STEAM building, have been preparing for this move since February.

“All my stuff has been packed up and it’s sitting in [Binks Gym] right now,” O’Regan said.

O’Regan said that the teachers have not been given much information concerning the moving in process and protocol. However, the maintenance staff has been helping teachers move boxes into the storage area. Additionally, O’Regan and Moll said that a negotiating team of teachers has been frequently communicating with administrators about the conditions of the move. O’Regan said this has helped him a lot through the moving process.

“[The negotiating team has] been really good at how we’re going to get boxes together and the packing protocols,” O’Regan said.

One of the leaders of the negotiation team is spanish teacher and H1 impact bargainer Virginia Leskowski. She has represented the teachers union during this move. Leskowski said that teachers have been very busy with moving on top of dealing with distance learning.

“Everybody moved except for [the teachers] in the 40’s building, PE [teachers], and special education [teachers],” Leskowski said. “Everybody else has to do something extra.”

Leskowski is also preparing to move to room 39 from the 10’s building. She says that her moving process has been very easy so far despite the hard work.

“I would say for 75 to 80 percent of teachers, it’s been low stress,” Leskowski said.

Once Piedmont schools reopen, Moll said that she hopes that students and teachers utilize this state-of-the-art facility. Lots of input from teachers, students, and community members went into the design of the building, and Moll hopes all who use the building will enjoy it.

“[The architects have] come up with a pretty fabulous building,” Moll said. “It’s exciting.”

The building has a lot of new and unique features. One feature that Leskowski is particularly excited about is the new outdoor areas spread around the building. Leskowski is also excited to see how teachers lay out their classrooms with the new furniture being mixed with the old furniture.

“There’s some furniture dedicated to the idea that you can move your group outside and [work on] art and stuff like that.” Leskowski said

O’Regan looks forward to the new education and opportunities inside the new building as well.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like on the inside and how functional it is,” O’Regan said.

With Piedmont schools closed for the foreseeable future, there are still many questions and information to come about the STEAM building. O’Regan said that he looks forward to seeing how the school will handle COVID amongst other things.

“Will there be a single entrance and single exit? I think [the rules and guidelines we have to follow] are the things for students [to keep an eye on],” O’Regan said.

Piedmont students are also eager to get into the building. Sophomore Owen Grippando said that he’s hoping for lots of new technology and experiences during his next few years learning in there.

“I [am] most excited for the new classrooms and layout of the building,” Grippando said.

Although they might not have much time to experience the nuances of the STEAM building, seniors are eager to get in the building as well. Senior Anne O’Neil said she is excited for a warm and welcoming classroom environment.

“I’m looking forward to being in a new, clean space,” O’Neil said.

Leskowski is thrilled that students have the chance to be in a state-of-the-art facility. She hopes that students realize how unique of an opportunity this is for them.

“Just bask in its beauty and take care of [the building],” Leskowski said. “If [someone] calls out [someone else] and says ‘Don’t wreck that,’ that makes a big difference.”