Cheerleading helps Wong build community

The tensions are high, and the score is close. While most would sit nervously in the stands, letting silence fill the room, Kayla Wong does not. The captain of the cheer team, she leads the crowd and her teammates in a chant, noise fills the room again, and the free-throw makes a silent shoosh through the basket. In the eyes of a cheerleader, that moment is the equivalent of scoring the game-winning touchdown or the walk-off home run, and that moment is why Kayla loves cheerleading.

Although the pandemic has affected all PHS sports, cheerleading has been hit especially hard, Wong said. The team has been able to practice and meet virtually, but hasn’t been able to meet in-person and collaborate together, which is a crucial aspect of the sport. Entering her fourth year on the team and the second year as captain, Wong is still staying positive about the future of the cheerleading team, despite the pandemic.

“I love cheerleading because I feel more connected to my school”, Wong said, “Beforehand, I didn’t really have a connection to Piedmont and its culture, and cheerleading provided that for me, and it does for my other teammates too”.

Wong’s desire to start cheerleading began in elementary school when she heard about a cheerleading camp run by Piedmont student cheer members. Although she wasn’t able to attend the camp, Wong said she always wanted to get involved. When given the opportunity as a freshman, she joined the team and has participated ever since.

PHS cheer is a multi-season sport, cheering for both football and basketball in the fall and winter seasons. The team captain has many responsibilities, which includes coming up with songs, choreography, and keeping team spirit high.

“I always want to be the kind of leader that reaches out to everyone and is always there for other people,” Wong said, “I think that that is one of my favorite parts as well as dancing and using my artistic side, and watching the choreograph come to life. It’s just about connection for me. I like being someone that other people can rely on”.

To add to the difficulties of this season, cheerleading’s previous head coach, Edwyna Zhu, stepped down from her position as head coach this fall, Wong said. Zhu plans on continuing as an assistant coach.

“Kayla is hard working, kind, and bubbly”, Zhu said, “she is open-hearted and open-minded, always willing to listen to what other people have to say”.

Like other PHS sports, cheerleading has also been slowed by COVID-19. Stunting, an acrobatic aspect of cheerleading, is definitely more difficult to do during the pandemic, Wong said. Oftentimes it requires teammates to be closer than six feet apart and involves physical contact.

Despite the challenges that the team faces this year, Wong is staying positive about the future. There are still plenty of things that the team can do to stay fit and ready for the season, Wong said.

“Last year [during distance learning] we had a couple of zoom workouts. We’ve been reminding everyone to stretch as well. Stretching is something that we have always done at every practice. And beyond that, as well”, Wong said.

With the hopes of a season for fall sports approaching, Wong has her eyes on another goal. With a significant number of seniors on the team this year, Wong is hoping that she and her fellow seniors will get a real season, something they’ve been looking forward to.

“I hope we get back to cheering as soon as possible,”Wong said, “If we’re able to have our season and have a new coach, our goal would be to just try and spread positivity. Because times are rough right now”.