Girls Basketball is Balling Out

From Reno to Los Angeles, from Seattle to Binks Gym, the women’s basketball team has been taking the court on a nonstop basis for nearly eight weeks. Winter break served as no exception to head Coach Bryan Gardere’s philosophy of maintaining a consistent practice and game schedule throughout the season. Gardere emphasizes the importance of travel in an effort to find other teams and rise to the level of their competition. With Nakyla Johnson, 2021 MHS graduate and star player, graduating this spring and four seniors graduating in 2020, the team roster was forced to undergo intensive reconstruction in their first winter season since the pandemic began. The team has turned to the leadership of senior captains Hannah Govert and Eva Livingston and junior captain Trinity Zamora. 

“[Zamora] can play and defend all five positions. She’s a great leader to have on the floor,” Govert said.

Govert said that although the team has undergone much change, they have learned to work together well. Govert said that the collaborative team atmosphere can be attributed in part to the contribution of fellow captain Zamora. Zamora was awarded the Piedmont Post’s Freshman of the Year award in 2020.

“[Zamora] is one of the most athletic people I know,” Govert said. “She’s only a few inches away from being able to dunk.”

Zamora is the team’s leading scorer, according to Gardere. She recently scored a career high of 38 points on Dec. 22 at a game against Cal High. 

Govert said that the team has also turned to younger talent in sophomore Natalie Martinez. Govert said one of the best highlights of the season so far was one of Martinez’s plays.

“She finished a really acrobatic alley-oop layup in transition while being fouled,” Govert said, “I still don’t know how that went in.”

Martinez scored over 20 points for four consecutive games, and is praised by her teammates for her ability to work with others and pass.

“She is one of the best shooters and finishers [the team] has,” Govert said. “Her work ethic is unmatched.”

The team has four regular season games remaining, with two home and one away. They will face rivals Bishop O’Dowd for the second time this season and first time at home on Feb. 9. They will begin the North Coast Section competition on Feb. 16. The competition will run through the last weekend of February.

Schedule: (Head coach Bryan Gardere)

Feb. 2 – Wed – St. Joseph – Away – 6:30

Feb. 4 – Fri – Alameda – Home – 6:30

Feb. 9 – Wed – Bishop O’Dowd – Home – 6:30

Feb. 11 – Fri – San Leandro – Away – 7:00

Feb. 16 – Wed – NCS First Round

Feb. 19 – Sat – NCS Quarterfinals

Feb. 23 – Wed – NCS Semifinals

Feb. 25-26 – Sat – NCS Finals