A Dive Into Marine Club

Marine Club during a meeting

Marine Conservation Club, run by junior Julia Baysinger, meets on Thursdays at lunch in room 31. 

“[The purpose of this club is] to inspire people to protect the ocean by showing them how awesome the ocean is.”  Basinger said, “We’re all very passionate about climate justice, and working with like-minded individuals helps us make a tangible difference in our community.”

During weekly meetings, members participate in small educational workshops and informative lessons. 

Baysinger said that an example of this is the eco-pledge that all club members made at the beginning of the school year in which they all vowed to make changes to their daily lives that help reduce their carbon footprint.

“My eco pledge was to turn all the lights off when I left the room, and since my friends made similar eco pledges to mine, we have been holding each other accountable,” junior Sabrina Oliphant said.

Olliphant said that the eco pledges have been successful in pushing members to make changes in their daily habits and also inspiring other people in their lives to make similar changes.

Marine Conservation Club also uses its weekly meetings to plan events they will conduct on weekends. These events include beach cleanups, bonding activities, and most importantly fundraisers. 

Last year, Marine Conservation Club raised over $600 for Malama Inā Honu, a nonprofit organization in Hawaii, said Baysinger. She hopes that this year’s fundraisers will be even more successful.   During last week’s meeting, members worked on planning a Jaws movie night to celebrate the upcoming Halloween season with an aquatic and educational flare.