Piedmont Technovation Girls Club Feature

Steph
Girls Technovation Club members work on their app

Piedmont Technovation Girls is a first-year club run by co-presidents junior Kaeli Yeung and sophomore Madeline Tran. It meets on Tuesdays at lunch in Room 205. 

“Piedmont Technovation Club strives to inspire young girls to learn about coding to help reduce the gender gap between women and men in STEAM,” Yeung said. 

“I decided to co-run this club with Kaeli because coding is something I’m passionate about and I want to encourage younger girls to pursue computer science,” Tran said.

During their weekly meetings, this club discusses issues of gender divide within coding, teaches members about coding basics and other technology-related skills, and dives into more complex projects such as app building. 

Yeung’s goal is that by the end of the school year, the club will have designed and created an app that is a platform where cancer patients can connect, communicate, and share their stories with one another.

Piedmont Technovation Girls also offers students opportunities that extend beyond the limitations of the school campus. 

Yeung and Tran intend to schedule a date for the club to visit a retirement home and help the elderly understand how to use their electronic devices and technology more effectively and efficiently. 

“Coding gives me the opportunity to be creative, to solve real-world problems, and to help others understand the powers of technology,” Yeung said.