World Language Competition Expands to Include the Middle School

Dylan Hickman
The Mandarin III class prepares for the competition

A resounding cheer is heard as the students in the fifth period Spanish Three class spring up. The band begins to play, the guitar sings with just as much passion as the students themselves, and the drums beat like a heart full of song. 

The first Semester World Language Singing Competition is Monday, November 13. Over 25 classes will be competing for the glory of victory and a lovely trophy made by the ceramics class.

According to Spanish teacher Jessica McMillen, this stands as the last singing competition before some big changes come next semester. But now, for the first time, middle school World Language classes will be invited to observe the competition. “Our hope is to expand it to middle school. So they know what to expect when they come to high school,” said McMillen. 

But observation is only the first step. In the second semester, middle school classes will be participating along with  Janine Saun’s English Language Development class, said McMillen. 

According to French teacher Bryan Smith, the World Language department is also looking to change the venue next semester for the “All champs,” competition , where winners of each class period’s competition will compete at the Alan Harvey Theater instead of the amphitheater.

Energy and expectations are high, from both teachers and students.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how my AP class does,” said Smith. “They are really dedicated to winning.”  Sophomore Nik Costello believes his Honors Spanish Four Class can match up. 

“I believe our class will win. I believe we [have] the best class choreography and music.”