Students’ Hard Work Pays Off

Madelyn Hill
Miranda Long working hard at Park Burger

As the school bell rings, most students head home, glad to finally be done with their school day. For some, however,  this bell signals that their work day is only just beginning. 

Many upperclassmen have taken on jobs, excited to earn their own money. Through these jobs, they also meet new friends and learn to manage their time and newfound financial responsibilities. 

Senior Miranda Long has worked as a server at Park Burger for over a year. Long said that most of her coworkers are other teenagers.

“It’s a really chill job,” Long said. “It’s a bunch of kids who go to different schools and we talk about what it’s like at our schools. There’s kids from O’Dowd, [Oakland] Tech, and Skyline.”

Senior Schuyler Sawicki works the front desk at CRUfit, where he enjoys getting to know the regular clients.

Similarly, senior Ella Puckett has gotten to know many younger kids as a recreation aide at Havens schoolmates.

“They’re all so different and have their own strengths and challenges, and so I’ve made great connections and learned a lot,” Puckett said.

While students enjoy meeting new people through their jobs, many have difficulty managing their schedules because working can take a significant chunk of time out of their day. 

Long said she usually works the 4:30 to 9:00 p.m. shift, forcing her to have to adapt to get her work done. 

“I’m usually going to get ready straight after school and then I’m not home until like 9:30, so it doesn’t leave much time to do homework,” Long said. “But I have a free first so a lot of times I just do my schoolwork in the morning.”

Senior Sara Broach has found that working actually helps her get school work done. Broach works the front desk at Honor Barre.

“During the classes, I have fifty minutes just to do my homework,” Broach said. “I like that I have time to do homework at work, since it’s like killing two birds with one stone.”

However, Broach still has to juggle her shifts with playing a fall sport.

“When I’m not playing a sport I’ve worked eight hours a week. But right now I am playing a sport, so I’m only working two and half hours a week,” Broach said.

Along with time management, working teaches students how to be more financially responsible 

“I have to keep track of everything and decide where I’m going to put what to and how much I’m going to put towards checking or savings,” Puckett said. 

Long said that she enjoys having more financial freedom from her job. 

“It feels a lot better to buy things for myself than asking people for money,” Long said. 

Broach also said that she enjoys having more freedom since the money she spends is not from her parents. 

“I don’t have to ask my parents for money all the time, and I can do whatever I want with it,” Broach said. 

Some students put their paychecks towards practical necessities. 

“I have to buy gas and pay for my car insurance,” Long said. 

Others save the money they earn to put towards the future. 

“Maybe I’ll put it towards a senior trip, or seeing Noah Kahan in July,” Puckett said.